Monday 27 August 2007

Too Much Of A Good Thing

I was recently discussing the purpose of Christian education with someone who works in a Christian school. I think it is good that Christian parents have schools that they can send their children to so that they can be nurtured and educated in a safe environment that centres around God. It does sadden me, however, that so many Christian teachers gravitate to the Christian school environment when there is such a need for Christian teachers in the public school system. Surely they would be so much more beneficial in an environment where they could meet the needs of those who are really lost in life.

I began to discuss with my friend how we could encourage non-Christian families to send their kids to a Christian school and I was quite disturbed when told that many staff members at the school think that there shouldn’t be non-Christians there. I just can’t see Jesus thinking this way. He spent his entire life hanging out with those not worthy of him. His entire life’s work was centred around those who did not go to church. His influence in the “non-Christian” environment transformed lives around him as he loved and accepted those who were not otherwise noticed.

Should we not follow his example? Why would we not embrace the opportunity to welcome non-Christians into a Christian school? I understand that Christian parents want to shelter and protect their kids from the evils of the world, but do we believe that we are more deserving of God’s grace than others? Do we really want our children to be raised with the belief that they are better than those who do not yet know Christ? Do we want to isolate them from the real world and those in it? I know people who complain that their kids are so self-centred, but if you look at the attitude of many “churchy” parents, I can understand why kids become this way – it is because many of our churches centre around us.

Jesus died for every person on earth, Christian and otherwise. As Christians we need to be careful not to think that we have earned our salvation because we go to church and read the Bible. Grace is a gift that we do not deserve, and I don’t believe that it would please God for us to withhold our grace from those who do not yet know him.

Needless to say, my kids are enrolled in the local primary school, where hopefully our light and grace can touch those we come in contact with. I believe in Christian education, but I believe that it is something I am responsible for teaching my kids at home, not necessarily at school. It is a school's job to educate my kids, but it is my job to teach them about Jesus.

3 comments:

carrie said...

"Needless to say, my kids are enrolled in the local primary school, where hopefully our light and grace can touch those we come in contact with. I believe in Christian education, but I believe that it is something I am responsible for teaching my kids at home, not necessarily at school. It is a school's job to educate my kids, but it is my job to teach them about Jesus"

AMEN AND AMEN!!! My husband and I decided this very thing years ago and when another family from our church heard that we were NOT sending our children to the Christian school nearby the mother nearly fainted. She couldn't understand why on Earth we would want our children out in the world!!! Funny thing is...her kids are in the public school now and if you ask her why...she wants them to be lights to the community...*smirk* Funny how God works these things...

Lee said...

Thanks for your comment Carrie. Isn't it amazing, the expectation that Christians should send their kids to a Christian school?! My mother-in-law couldn't believe that (quote) ..."You of all people would send your kids somewhere else!!". (She sees me as one of the more spiritual people she knows).

To add to the pressure, I live in a country town where all the local churches support the one Christian school. It is just expected that you will too.

Add to that the fact that I actually work at the Christian school two days a week (I'm their bookkeeper)! Talk about pressure!!!

But my desire to live the way Jesus did overcomes the pressure to conform to the "norm", so I am pleased with our decision and look forward to throwing myself in boots and all to the local primary school! Lee

carrie said...

Good luck with that...due to some other issues I've actually pulled my girls from school and am homeschooling them but my son is starting kindergarten at the public school this year ;)