Wednesday 23 May 2007

Fake It Till You Make It

One of my all-time most hated sayings is “Fake it till you make it”.

I think that one of the main reasons people don’t want to be a part of Christianity is because we constantly pretend we are something that we are not. People need to see that we are real people; that we struggle with the same issues that they do, but we have an undeniable hope and purpose no matter what. They will be attracted to us, not because we are perfect and have it all together, but because we live our lives so passionately, in spite of the bad things that happen to us.

I just can’t imagine Jesus sidling up to someone who is going through a rough time and telling them to fake it till they make it. Jesus was real – he shared his struggles and sorrows, as well as his victories and joys. Surely his example is the one we should follow, not the myth that tells us that Christians must be perfect.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Your first blog! I'm so proud. Thank you for deciding to share all that stuff I know you have inside. You're an amazing woman with a lot to give, and I know this will be an amazing blog full of wisdom. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Lee said...

Thanks Heather. It's so nice to have a place to air your thoughts and questions - even if you don't have all the answers.