Sunday 15 July 2007

The Price Of Excellence

Do you have any idea how many times I have heard the word “excellence” at church? By definition excellence means “the act of being admirable, exceptional, fine, first-class, superb”. I understand the mentality behind the whole “excellence” phenomenon that has hit our churches (to give God our best), but I think we have gotten a little bit carried away.

I look at the list of “requirements” for service (above) that our churches are looking for today (especially in the area of music) and I think what hope do we have? I am a good person who loves God wholeheartedly, but I wouldn’t describe myself as exceptional or first-class. I would rather be referred to as humble and willing. A friend of mine says that excellence makes people feel inadequate, and I tend to agree.

When you read the Bible it is interesting to note that not one person God used throughout scripture was qualified to perform the job that God called him (or her) to do. NOT ONE! On the contrary, God usually called the last person we would deem as appropriate to fulfil his purpose. I believe he does this because, at the end of the road, when the under-dog has prevailed and the impossible has been accomplished, everyone will know that it was God who did it, not man, and he would get all the glory.

1 Corinthians 1:27-29 says that God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, the weak to shame the strong; the lowly, despised and insignificant to abolish the things that are, so that no-one can boast before him.

God is glorified when real people follow his call to be followers of Jesus, not when people strive to be excellent. The men Jesus chose to be his disciples were not the educated rabbis who had completed Bible college, but the humble “tradies” who had a heart to serve. These are the men who turned our world upside-down. How many “uneducated” people are stifled by the church in the name of excellence? How many “qualified” people are doing it their own way, instead of God’s way, because they believe that their excellence is all that is needed?

So yes, I believe excellence is over-rated. God is more interested in our hearts, humility and willingness than our abilities. We need to do all we do for his glory, and let God be God.

6 comments:

Erin said...

"A friend of mine says that excellence makes people feel inadequate, and I tend to agree."

I ran into this, too. Struggling with depression a couple years ago for not being able to meet the "expectations of excellence" in my ministries.

Great post. So true.

Heather said...

Great summary of something that needs to be brought to the attention of the excellence-driven church.

I fail at excellence myself. But if Jesus wanted excellent followers he wouldn't have picked his disciples, so I'm not too worried. Actually, I think Jesus quite probably failed excellence too, as it's known in church terminology anyway.

Lee said...

Sadly I think that many people fall into the trap of thinking they need to be more than they actually are. Thank God that he looks at our hearts rather than our human frailties! Thanks for your comments, Erin and Heather. I always appreciate your feedback. Lee

carrie said...

God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called ;)

I hate church regulations...they stink.

Sarah said...

"How many “qualified” people are doing it their own way, instead of God’s way, because they believe that their excellence is all that is needed?"

Excellent point. Where does 'excellence' meet the cross? Are they compatible?

Why should we be trying to be excellent versions of ourselves? Doesn't this get us to focus more on ourselves, rather than point us to Jesus? Perhaps a focus on conforming to Christ-likeness is a more worthy goal because it gets us focused on Him, and off of self.

Great post. Very insightful.

Lee said...

Thanks Carrie and Sarah for your comments. I am so glad that I don't have to be qualified to be follower of Jesus. I would much rather him do his thing through inadequate me than have to do things in my own power. Perfection is highly over-rated, especially in Christian circles. Thank God that he wants us to focus on him instead of ourselves. Lee