Thursday 19 July 2007

Social Justice And Christianity

Matthew 25:31-46 has always fascinated me. For most of my Christian life it was one of those passages I skimmed over, mainly because I knew that if I looked at it too closely, it would challenge me to step way out of my comfort zone, and that can be a difficult place to be. In recent years, however, my desire to be more like Jesus has overcome my fear of studying these verses and I have started delving into them a little further.

Many church leaders I have spoken to believe that “missions”, “outreach” and “providing for the needy” are jobs for a minority of Christians – those who have been “specifically called” to that particular ministry. They set up departments in their churches to cater for the few who have a passion for these things and then say that they have done their bit. Once that has been done, they can get on with the more important issues of preaching, music, small groups and the general running of the church. These things are all important in a church, but I believe that Matthew 25 blows this kind of mentality out of the water.

In this passage the way Jesus distinguishes those who will be with him throughout eternity, from those who will not, is based on their passion for social justice. Those who took care of the needs of the people around them and made time for those who were not socially accepted are the ones who Jesus said would share in his inheritance. Those who did not provide for the needy or care for the socially unacceptable were sent to “eternal punishment”.

Jesus effectively says that if you don’t help those in need, you will not be known by him. That is a pretty big call. As Christians we focus on so many aspects of God that I think we can easily lose the importance of this story. John 3:17 reinforces this way of thinking, saying that if we have material possessions but do not provide for those in need, then God’s love is not in us.

It seems difficult from these scriptures, to separate social justice and actively loving others from salvation and a personal relationship with Jesus. I guess if you love God wholeheartedly, from that should flow a love for his creation, and from that a demonstration of love in action.

As I said, way out of the comfort zone, but right where I need to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi
That was amazing.

Sorry I just came past your blog, as I'm currently writing notes for an exam for religion about social justice and Christianity.

"Jesus effectively says that if you don’t help those in need, you will not be known by him. That is a pretty big call." That really shook me.

Just wanted to say thanks for the blog, as it opened my eyes about what God expects from us. As you said we always focus on so many aspects of God, that we forget about the true essence of John 3:16.

God Bless you!
:)