Monday 23 July 2007

The Sinner's Prayer

As someone who has grown up in a Christian/church environment I always believed that there was supposed to be one defining moment when I “became a Christian” or “got saved”. We characterise this moment as when we “ask Jesus into our heart” or say “the sinner’s prayer”.

I did this when I was a three year old child. I knelt down next to my bed with my dad and sister and humbly asked Jesus to come and live in my heart. I loved Jesus in the only way a three year old could but I had no idea what inviting a grown man to come and live in my little heart meant. When I stood up from that prayer I didn’t feel any different but I remember how excited my dad was.

It wasn’t until many years later that I truly experienced God for myself rather than just catching the rebounds of my parent’s experience. My “conversion” took place over many years. I can’t pinpoint one defining moment when I suddenly knew that I was saved. Even now, thirty years later, I am still learning more and experiencing God in new and fresh ways.

It is interesting to note that there is no mention in the Bible of asking Jesus into your heart or quoting the sinner’s prayer in order to “get saved”. Jesus welcomed everyone who came to him. He spoke to them, comforted them, healed them, delivered them, taught them, loved them and encouraged them. He didn’t call an altar-call or even pray with them. In many cases he farewelled them with words such as “your faith has saved you”, “go in peace” and “do not sin anymore”.

Prayer is the way we communicate with Jesus now. The Bible says that if you believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, then you shall be saved. I assume the sinner’s prayer stems from this passage, but what about those who never have the opportunity to hear about Jesus?

The Bible says that God can be seen in the beauty of creation. God’s truth can be found anywhere, not just in our churches. Thousands of people around the world have never heard the name of Jesus, but I do not believe that means they are doomed to eternal damnation. God looks at the heart and I can’t believe that his grace does not extend to those who have never had the opportunity to hear about his son, and yet have searched for him in their own way.

I guess the key to the “sinner’s prayer” is follow up. I know many people who have said the prayer and never moved on from there – no transformation, no shift in priorities, no change in mindset – just good people who have continued on with their life as they did before. I believe salvation is only the first step of the journey. The real journey is about discipleship, not just saying a simple prayer and being done with it, but about a life-time of change. Discipleship is becoming like Jesus and it takes time, commitment, passion and sacrifice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

being a pastor's kid i am well versed in "the prayer". i probably prayed it more than 20-30 times growing up. it never really did anything. nothing changed. it was just something you were supposed to do in order to fit in with this group of people so you could say you "did it" and get applause. or say you "re-dedicated your life" for more applause. some churches hand out "new birth certificates" and other such trinkets.

god invades whomever he will, however he will, whenever he will. and i believe he does it to everyone. the difference lies, in my experience, to the degree people allow themselves to be invaded.

some knowingly, and others unknowingly. some have heard. and some have never physically heard but have "heard" in their hearts and responded. and still others, i believe, have heard, but have been so disgusted with what they have experienced in their personal dealings with "the church" that they reject christianity and think they're rejecting jesus, but in truth, at that moment of honesty and standing up for what they believe in their hearts, are actually closer to god and following him more than they ever had been before.

just my two cents.

Lee said...

Hi Jon. Sorry I haven't responded to your comment. I have been overseas. I am a pastor's kid so I know exactly what you are talking about. I believe that the expectation of how to actually become a Christian is one of the most "man-made" parts of our Christian walk. I agree with every word you have said! Lee